Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My weight loss tips

I'm so excited! I've finally lost 50 pounds. That's almost a small person. I've been through a few wardrobe makeovers (thank you, Goodwill), gone down a shoe size, and significantly changed my appearance. People are starting to notice. I feel like everyone is hoping or trying to do better, but we all know that eating in our culture isn't easy. So I've compiled a few tips which I've gathered over my journey.

1. Only Eat Food that Rots. I believe that this one is from Michael Pollan, and he really encourages people to eat REAL food, minimally processed, natural, nonchemical, normal food.  Not a bad idea.

2. Eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day.  Hard to believe, but I'm a mostly-vegetarian, and I initially had trouble with this one.  It wasn't until I started keeping track that I noticed my omissions.

3. Move, then move more.  I don't think I would have been so successful had I not started exercising.  Check out Couch to 5k.  It's a great start-running plan, which I truly believe that anyone can do.

4. Keep at it.  All of us go-getters like to beat ourselves up when we "fail."  I went out to dinner last night.  I had 2 mojitos, ample olive oil & bread, delicious snapper, and a few bite of dessert.  That would ruin my diet, if I was on one.  But that's life, and I'll eat healthy today.  I'm allowed some splurging, homemade ice cream and sloppy nachos on occassion.  With that in mind, I've lost, on average, 0.6 lbs per week, which I'm statistically more likely to keep off than had I dieted.

No comments:

Post a Comment