Monday, April 5, 2010

A National Eating Disorder

   Having finally started reading Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma, I'm fascinated by his analogies.  His introduction talks about our "national eating disorder."  People just don't know what to eat.  The government feels the need to make food pyramids, because we lack a culture of food to tell is what food is good.  It's a bit humorous if you think about it.  He brings up the French paradox, where American's are confused by the French diet of high fat foods and small waistlines, and he suggests an American paradox instead.  We eat low fat and low carb and empty non-nutritive calories without any regard to portion or quality.  (I say this after I made Rice Krispie treats for Easter yesterday... there's nothing natural in there except the butter.)
   This leads me to reflect on our society's eating and health.  We have all of these diseases, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, all of which I believe are as much disorders of malnutrition, or misnutrition as those you find in developing countries.  In fact, they're starting to see an increase in diabetes in those countries too, as people start munching on chips, white-flour white sugar cookies and other Western garbage.
   Personally, what I've learned is that in order to lose weight and be full/satisfied, I need to eat real food.  The first advice I give patients who want to lose weight is to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day.  I am amazed how many people eat only one or two!  Noone knows what they're eating, where their food comes from, or what they should eat.  Our society really needs to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment