Friday, May 28, 2010

Last night's dinner meeting...


Last night I had my final wrap-up meeting with pcH.  They took me to a cute little seafood restaurant in Petionville to discuss my month.  I was struck by how grateful they are that I am here, and I tried in every way possible to return that gratitude.
As we discussed my upcoming proposal, their wheels started churning.  pcH does not have a health care arm.  At first they suggested that I might be better off partnering with AME-SADA.  When we discussed that SADA does not have any involvement with the community, they agreed that their values are more in line with the type of program that I would like to build.  They then suggested that they might need to review their founding documents.  Their contract with the Haitian government states that they are an NGO that works in cooperatives, agriculture and adult literacy.  First they will speak with their board, then their lawyer, and then they may need to apply to modify their government documents.  They sounded very willing to do so but warned me that it might take some time.  I encouraged them to take as much time as they need, reminded them how impressed I am with their organization, and explained that I hope to work with them for many years to come.  We agreed that if the government won’t let me start a health program by the time I come back in August, then they will help me work on language skills and learning more about Haitian culture (and they might have me teach some English classes).
And then I opened up my line of questioning.  We discussed how health promoters might be selected.  Their communities already have health agents, midwives, and voodoo priests, all of whom practice some form of medicine.  However, I would like to use a term different from health agent, potentially health promoter, but we’ll discuss that with the communities.  Then we will ask the cooperatives.  I’ll explain to them what a health promoter will do, and then their community, through open space dialogue, can come up with their own list of qualities their health promoter should have.  After the list is generated, we will ask them all to vote on whom their promoters will be.
We also clarified that based on Haitian laws health promoters here will never be allowed to prescribe medicines.  Ironically, you can buy antibiotics, antivirals, and birth control pills in any market place, or even on the bus, but they won’t be allowed to write prescriptions… However, I reassured them that there are many many things that they will be able to do without prescribing, such as suturing, teaching how to make oral rehydration solution, and healing without medicines.  They got really excited and LeGran said, “They will save lives!” (His words, not mine J, but that is the idea.)
My language skills also need some help.  We agreed that I should have a helper, who I will call a partner.  I asked them to look for a few smart dynamic villagers who speak both English and Creole, who I can then interview.  I reassured them that they need no health care knowledge and they don’t need to be certified translators.  My ideal partner would be fun, animated, willing to try new things and culturally sensitive.  I explained that I need a local person to help me with Creole, but I also need someone who will elbow me if I say something that’s not culturally appropriate. (They agreed.) My proposal will include a stipend to pay this person, and a similar stipend to pay myself.  (I’ll donate it back, but that way they can financially account for my services.)
We also discussed about when, in the future (when my schedule isn’t based on a residency program), it will be best for me to come back, i.e. one week every two months, two weeks every four months… And they proposed that I come between planting an harvesting.  Ideally 2 weeks in January, 2 weeks in August, and 2 weeks between November and December.  I’m not sure how that spacing will fly with my future employer, but agriculturally, that makes a lot of sense.
Our meeting concluded with another round of appreciation.  They appreciate me, love my ideas, believe that our philosophies are consistent and are honored that I want to know Haiti.  I reiterated why I’m impressed with pcH, thanked them for their hospitality and generosity and told them how excited I am about coming back.
The best part, of the meeting though, was when LeGrand decided that since I keep coming back to see Haiti, Haiti and I have become lovers.  I made them promise not to tell my boyfriend.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment