Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Day In Photos


four adults on a moto... probably not the safest idea



I'm not completely sure what this rash was, it looked like tinea, but had an ulceration in the middle.



I didn't really know how to treat it, but the doctor cleaned it pretty well, then put some powdered azithromycin on it (meant for oral suspension).  Frankly, I'm not sure what I would have done, but that's probably not it.  Unfortunately, she has no real follow up, as it's a mobile clinic.



This little one is the first full-blown case of kwashiokor that I've seen in a medical setting.  They have a fairly decent referral system for true malnutrition.  He was referred to a local hospital, where he'll be getting medical-grade peanut butter ("Medika Mamba") for treatment.




Check out his growth chart from the health post... 
red is normal, orange is high risk, yellow is severely malnourished.



Another kid with Kwashiokor



If you can see the winding road through the mountains, 
you can almost imagine the city at the end, in front of the water... 
this is my daily commute to Delis!

3 comments:

  1. WOW beck, I feel like I want to take all those precioius kids home and feed them....you're their angel...keep up the great work....we'll keep you all in our prayers....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky -
    They use Medika Moamba for treatment of Kwash? You know that's not the correct treatment, right? Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences. Hopefully we can connect via phone when I get back.
    Devon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Devon!
    I was just happy to hear that they had a better referral process than "I thought I told you to go to a hospital last time"... but they treat plenty of things differently that I would... I'm just here observing. We definitely need to chat though!

    ReplyDelete