Sunday, May 23, 2010

Reflections after a weekend in Jacmel

Hey all!
     I just got back from a great weekend in Jacmel with Dom and his friends, Nesly and Natalie.  We drove past some incredible earthquake devastation on the way out, and Jacmel was a breath of fresh air on the other side of the mountains.  They have their share of quake damage too, but it's hard to shake the beach.  We drank Prestige, swam, and ate freshly caught fish under the palm trees.

Here's the dining area.


Nesly and Natalie


Dom learned to back float.


Sun setting... love the clouds


     Today we hung out at Leslie's house while Dom's car got washed and detailed, and then we drove back through new devastation.  The heavy rains last night flooded many of the main roads to Port-au-Prince and washed piles of trash all over the place.  We actually had to turn around at one "puddle" and find an alternate route.

Here's where we turned around


Going to Jacmel was great fun and an opportunity to reflect. 

Having been in Haiti for approximately three months of my life, I have nothing tangible to show for it.  It’s an interesting feeling.  The medical mission group who is staying at Wall’s saw 976 patients the other day (with a total of 8 doctors, in one day… that’s scary).   Another group built an orphanage.  Yup, they got their hands dirty.  Me, I’ve just learned a lot.
I first came to Haiti on immersion experiences, to see poverty and learn about the world.  Those experiences served as social justice retreats and powerful motivators.  In medical school, I came for a more spiritual retreat, to hang out on Jane Wynne’s organic farm and make recycled paper products.   I came last fall to learn Creole and to meet with nonprofits about long-term partnering, and here I am again.
Well, this trip, I’ve taken steps toward long term partnering.  Studying the rural medical system, learning more Creole, and having some fun are perks, but I think the relationships that I’m building are most significant.  Already committed to working here, I need to make sure that whatever I do is effective.  I’m making a big investment of my time and resources, and I’m expecting to see real returns someday.
I’ve fallen in love with participatory development, and I’m really looking forward to partnering with PCH.  They’re effective, and they’ve proven it again and again.  If I can assist them in adding a health care arm that is similarly empowering, while simultaneously saving lives, then all of my time will be well spent.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and support!  I'm so grateful.
love, becky

No comments:

Post a Comment